Reflective of the relevance of just some of the many VHIO-led studies presented during last week’s virtual 2021 Annual Congress of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), 16-21 September (1), leading oncology channel ecancer interviewed Enriqueta Felip, Principal Investigator of our Thoracic Tumors and Head & Neck Cancer Group, and Cristina Saura, Principal Investigator of VHIO’s Breast Cancer Group, to discuss results of two phase III clinical trials, IMpower010 and TULIP.
As we covered in a dedicated VHIO News (2), Enriqueta Felip presented data (3) from the exploratory analyses of the IMpower010 study that was designed and developed to compare the efficacy and safety of an immune checkpoint inhibitor, atezolizumab, compared with best supportive care as adjuvant therapy in patients with stage IB-stage IIIA non–small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), following resection and adjuvant chemotherapy.
To discover more, please click on the link below to access the ecancer video:
Also selected for VHIO’s ESMO Congress 2021 media coverage were the results of a trio of clinical trials (4) that revealed important advances in the treatment of breast cancer. Featuring among these selected studies was the phase III TULIP study.
This multi-center, open-label randomized clinical trial compared the efficacy and safety of the antibody-drug conjugate (ADC), [Vic-] trastuzumab duocarmazine, to physician’s choice in the treatment of patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (MBC) who had received at least two previous lines of therapy or ado-trastuzumab emtansine treatment in the metastatic setting.
The positive results from primary outcomes of TULIP were presented by VHIO’s Cristina Saura during a Proffered Paper Session (5). We invite you to access the ecancer video below to find out more:
- The European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) virtual Congress 2021: https://www.esmo.org/meetings/past-meetings/esmo-congress-2021.
- Immune checkpoint inhibitor atezolizumab as a potential game-changer in the treatment of early-stage NSCLC: https://www.vhio.net/immune-checkpoint-inhibitor-atezolizumab-as-a-potential-game-changer-in-the-treatment-of-early-stage-nsclc/.
- LBA9 – IMpower010: Sites of relapse and subsequent therapy from a phase III study of atezolizumab vs best supportive care after adjuvant chemotherapy in stage IB-IIIA NSCLC, was presented by Enriqueta Felip during Presidential Symposium on Monday 20 September 2021, 15:05-16:35 (CEST), Channel 1.
- VHIO ‘on the ground’ at ESMO 2021: reporting advances in breast cancer treatment: https://www.vhio.net/vhio-on-the-ground-at-esmo-2021-reporting-advances-in-breast-cancer-treatment/.
- LBA15 – Primary outcome of the phase III SYD985.002/TULIP trial comparing [vic-]trastuzumab duocarmazine to physician’s choice treatment in patients with pre-treated HER2-positive locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer. Results were presented by Cristina Saura during a Proffered Paper Session on metastatic breast cancer, Sunday 19 September, Channel 1, 13:30 – 13:40h CEST.